AKALA: And then you listen to Rapper’s Delight, it’s the same flow. And so people would gather. This podcast episode, The Poet’s Pen Turns Them to Shapes, was produced by Richard Paul. The English language has not changed as much as people would like to believe. He argues that until the mid 1990s, commercially successful hip hop artists boasted about how clever they were, ‘dropped science’ and demonstrated their knowledge, whilst simultaneously rapped about life in the ‘hood. But it meant that unlike most kids, you know, culturally we were very rich and so it was a weird juxtaposition where I was probably exposed to more… a greater cultural offering than most rich kids in England. Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. And I get that point of reference. And even he got a couple wrong. Oh, that… well, there you go. That boy Akala's a diamond fella.All you little boys are a Comedy of Errors,You bellow but you fellows get played likeThe cello. And that isn’t an accident. What a miracle. As you watch/listen to the video, answer the following questions, which we will discuss … It’s all over the place. Maybe it's hatred I spew; maybe it's food for the spirit Hip Hop Shakespeare. 9. Previous: Creating TNT's Will | Next: Shakespeare's Kitchen. And we’ve done this pop quiz quite a … Throughout his entire career, he was experimenting with different forms of rhythm. You won’t always be able to pick up the rhyme. But, actually, perceptions of Shakespeare can be problematic. BARBARA: Okay, that I didn’t know. “Is it Shakespeare, or is it hip-hop?” British poet, rapper, and educator Kingslee James Daley, who goes by the stage name Akala, likes to recite a passage and then challenge his audience with this question. AKALA: “I am reckless what I do to spite the world.”. Learn more about characters, symbols, and themes in all your favorite books with Course Hero's Miles Davis, of course he’s a genius.” It’s similar with hip-hop. That one’s actually from Much Ado About Nothing. I mean you gotta remember when blues was around, you know, in the UK, we have a paper called the Daily Mail, a favorite right-wing paper. 1. They call blues “devil’s music” and they called it “the Negro’s revenge.” That’s an actual quote from the Daily Mail. It was edited by Gail Kern Paster and Esther Ferington. We’d really appreciate your help. worksheets. AKALA: It’s terrible. The Folger is looking for exceptionally qualified individuals who are committed to the mission, vision, and values of our organization. And a lot of people still have the belief that that’s all kind of hip-hop has to contribute, has to say. There wasn’t… we didn’t actually program any Shakespeare there. But what do you want people to go home with? As someone who grew up listening to KRS-One and  Lauryn Hill and The Last Poets and Gil Scott-Heron and that whole incredible tradition of the music of the African diaspora in America, for me, I never had that problem. <> AKALA: … describes it as jazz. l{�w~��?=�;~����Ù�L��3�V=�N��YΊ}��LRh��ezD�� But they never vanished,Made it through the middle passage,Never gave up the habit,Passing on the stories and traditions so that we could have it.I saw as clear as day a griot trapped beneath the deck,Buried in [expletive] and vomit up to his neck,Lying shackled next to his younger sister, already dead,Her own corpse don’t even smell no more, ‘cause he has lost the sense.Still we sung the song of the warrior, giving heartTo all the others trapped, rebellion ready to start.That is art:That’s poems that bleed, songs mold historyThe greatest gift ever given, a true mystery.Even when the drum was outlawed on the plantation,She kept beating it and singing in secret and maintainin.’I could see the start of the Haitians in revolution,And what did they start it with? Whereas if I play you Lauryn Hill performing it on MTV Unplugged, immediately you’re like, I didn’t understand half the words. OCR Love and Relationships Poetry Knowledge Organisers Huge Bundle. full list of Shakespeare Unlimited episodes. You know, sometimes when I ask young people, for example, I say, where, you know, where does black America music come from? But at the same time, in Titus Andronicus, one guy gets annoyed with another guy, so he chops him up, puts him in a pie, feeds him to his enemy’s parents, you know? A Midsummer Night's DreamThe TempestNathan the Wise, Streaming for freeFull performance + special features. BARBARA: So, and for people who haven’t heard it, you recite a passage, I gather, and you ask the audience, do they think it’s hip-hop or do they think it’s Shakespeare. BARBARA: Well, spew is such a Shakespearean word, I think. Browse our full list of Shakespeare Unlimited episodes. AKALA: That’s all right. Since 2009, under the auspices of The Hip-hop Shakespeare Company (THSC), Akala has been going to community centers, prisons, and schools in immigrant and underserved communities, using the tools of hip-hop to spread … AKALA raps the lines of Shakespeare’s Sonnet 18 over a 90 BPM beat. Coming soon, maybe, who knows? I don’t think we can divorce Shakespeare’s global success from British imperialism and if India colonized the world, would we be reading the Mahabharata and the Rāmāyaṇa and these wonderful texts of Indian spirituality in the way that we read Shakespeare, as universal human text? BARBARA: Yeah, certainly not in class terms, yeah. For me, it’s that sense of cultural property, of not being told, “You are X. So, even that in England people think, “Shakespeare was posh,” which, again, is a, you know, a statement of class and a statement of that way I was just talking. Conditions. How? There’s only five percent that are old words. I don’t… no, definitely not. BARBARA: This is The Hip-hop Shakespeare Company, your company? It’s not there to beat you over the head with. And, actually, 95 percent of all the words in Shakespeare’s canon we still use. AKALA: Right. I’m Michael Witmore, the Folger’s director and, no, I’m not going to give you the answer right now. Shall I compare thee to a summer’s day?Thou art more lovely and more temperate.Rough winds do shake the darling buds of May,And summer’s lease hath all too short a date.Sometime too hot the eye of heaven shines,And often is his gold complexion dimmed;And every fair from fair sometime declines,By chance or nature’s changing course untrimmed.But thy eternal summer shall not fadeNor lose possession of that fair thou ow’st,Nor shall Death brag thou wand’rest in his shade,When in eternal lines to time thou grow’st.So long as men can breathe or eyes can see,So long lives this, and this gives life to thee. Garland Scott is the associate producer. BARBARA: No. And you mentioned a few of them. This website and its content is subject to our Terms and You can hear immediately that is not the same as “shall I compare thee to a summer’s day.” It doesn’t have the same roll to it. And if you think of the millions of people all around the world, that rap, only a handful of them are actually genuinely incredible. Well, like this. BARBARA: It has a very different… completely different atmosphere. Hamlet is not his story. Macbeth “the red sun sinks at last into the hills of gold” Hip Hop… Iago is the great character in that play. ( Log Out /  I'm doing my thing,You're jealous like Othello.Who you? Even…. The examples are taken from the extraordinary talk MOBO award-winning Akala from the Hip Hop Shakespeare Company gives to TedTalk. Multimedia lesson includes video and audio. But let’s talk a little bit first…. Change ), You are commenting using your Twitter account. I was recently asked for an answer key to my 'Hip Hop or Shakespeare?' I mean I deliberately when… so when I designed this exercise, I deliberately obviously didn’t pick certain instances from Shakespeare with line…. Some of the stuff that doesn’t rhyme. Surrender yourself to the floor. Created: Jun 3, 2015| Updated: Jun 16, 2015. MICHAEL: Akala works for the most part in the UK but recently he was in Los Angeles and stepped into the studio to talk with us about his work. Your ears and your brain literally are not yet trained to understand the vocabulary of that music. BARBARA: And what about rhyme? No one feels intimidated by Bob Marley, though. As you watch/listen to the video, answer the following questions, which we will. AKALA: Yeah, I mean the politics of class, really, in the UK, even in a lot of Britain’s former colonies, actually, there’s less of an intimidation, ironically, towards Shakespeare than in the UK itself, where if you’re in India, for example, you know, a society where they have their own three millennia long tradition of, you know, literary history, people I worked with in India, I… even children from tougher backgrounds were just like, Shakespeare’s… yeah, he’s another writer.

Metlife Computershare Unclaimed Property, Margo Martindale Net Worth, Did Doumeki Love Watanuki, Ghost Gamer Supplement, Safire 3 Vs Sabre 2,