Growing up, a distant relationship with his father complicated his attitude toward his background. A great talent. …, “Because at the end of the day I’m half-Nigerian. It goes well with Bam,” said Adebayo, who got his nickname from a Flintstones character. Why do I have his last name?’ ”. The latest and best from The Undefeated — straight to your inbox. Adebayo (neck) will play in Tuesday's Game 4 against the Lakers, Tim Reynolds of the Associated Press reports. Bam born Edrice Femi Adebayo on July 18, 1997, in Newark, New Jersey, got his nickname from his momma Mariyln Blount, who saw the similarities between The Flinstones’ character and her son when at the age of one flipped over a coffee table with zero difficulties. “I don’t want to learn about that part of my family. NBA.com is part of Warner Media, LLC’s Turner Sports & Entertainment Digital Network. Because, from 15 to younger, everybody has regular names like Williams, Bennett, you got all the names that sound normal. [25] He was also named to the NBA All-Defensive Second Team and finished fifth in voting for the Defensive Player of the Year Award.[26]. On Wednesday night, he’ll lead the Heat into Game 1 of the NBA Finals against the Los Angeles Lakers (ESPN, 9 p.m.

He played college basketball for the Kentucky Wildcats before being selected by the Heat with the 14th overall pick in the 2017 NBA draft.

During high school, Bam Adebayo started making a name for himself on the basketball court. On March 26, 2017, Adebayo scored 13 points and 7 rebounds in a 75–73 loss in the Elite eight against the North Carolina Tar Heels.

Adebayo said he took it personally and is still stunned by the decision. Bam Adebayo (left) and Jimmy Butler (right) of Team Giannis talk during the 69th NBA All-Star Game as part of 2020 All-Star Weekend on Feb. 16 at United Center in Chicago. “Bam Adebayo clicks, it just sounds good going off the tongue. Adebayo and his mother, Marilyn Blount, moved from Newark, New Jersey, to a small town in North Carolina when he was 7. Blount rose every day at 5:45 and cooked Bam … People are definitely following what he is doing as one of the best players on his team in terms of productivity. Adebayo has since become a big fan of fufu, a popular African and Caribbean food often made by pounding starchy food crops such as cassava, yam, plantain and others with hot water.

So, he kind of became distant. Interest-Based Ads. While Miami fans have enjoyed watching the No. [3] After his junior season at Northside he transferred to High Point Christian Academy in High Point, North Carolina. It was from his half-brother, who delivered the news that their father, John Adebayo, had died in Nigeria. He was ranked the No. He averaged 15.0 points and 10 rebounds per game on Adidas Uprising Circuit.

As a child, he was given the nickname "Bam Bam" by his mother when, while watching The Flintstones at age one, he flipped over a coffee table in a manner similar to the show's character Bamm-Bamm Rubble. [18][19] On December 14, he had his second career triple-double in a 122–118 overtime win over the Dallas Mavericks, scoring 18 points with 11 rebounds and 10 assists.

Obviously, being a dynamic roller [to the basket]. 2 power forward in the 2016 high school class. Career statistics and player information from, This page was last edited on 12 October 2020, at 17:07. I even got a text from my uncle who doesn’t even watch basketball that said, ‘Bam Bam.’ They are just getting to know and are supportive of him.”, A post shared by 13am Adebayo (@bam1of1) on May 24, 2020 at 3:37pm PDT. © 2020 ESPN Internet Ventures. Adebayo (neck) is listed as questionable for Tuesday's Game 4 against the Lakers, Tim Reynolds of the Associated Press reports. [8], Adebayo was rated a five-star recruit and considered one of the best high school prospects of the 2016 class. It was only in August 2019 that USA Basketball cut Adebayo from its World Cup roster. Just thinking about that, it means something to me. He really fits the modern NBA in terms of playing the center position with all that he can do. Adebayo was cut from the United States national team for the 2019 FIBA Basketball World Cup. …, “I know that my last name means like born in the joyful time. “You hear the name and know the Nigerian connection. Edrice Femi "Bam" Adebayo (born July 18, 1997) is an American professional basketball player for the Miami Heat of the National Basketball Association (NBA). “My father passed away, but I never really talked to him,” Adebayo told The Undefeated. So, I’m looking forward to going over there. “I feel like I should have been on that team,” Adebayo said of Team USA, which finished a disappointing seventh in the FIBA World Cup. He was named an NBA All-Star and voted to the NBA All-Defensive Second Team during the 2019–20 season. Bam Adebayo was born on July 18, 1997, in Newark, New Jersey to parents John Adebayo and Marilyn Blount.

But, everybody has their opinion, and they went with what they wanted. Adebayo used that USA Basketball chip on his shoulder to have a breakthrough season for the Heat, becoming an All-Star for the first time.

[12] In 38 games for Kentucky in the 2016–17 season, Adebayo averaged 13.0 points, 8.0 rebounds, and 1.5 blocks per game. As the number one seed entering the SEC Tournament, Kentucky would defeat the Georgia Bulldogs in the quarterfinals and beat Alabama in the semi-finals. 5 overall recruit and No. Adebayo, 23, has gone on to flourish in the NBA bubble, averaging 18.5 points, 11.4 rebounds and 4.9 assists in the 2020 playoffs. [20] On December 16, Adebayo was named Eastern Conference Player of the Week for the games played from December 9 to 15, when he averaged 20.0 points, 11.3 rebounds, 8.7 assists per game. “I’ve always wanted to go to Nigeria,” Adebayo said. 14 pick in the 2017 NBA draft blossom into an All-Star, there is also growing pride in Nigeria over Adebayo given his heritage. And, it was tough for me, it was growing pains. As per his nationality, he is American and belongs to the Black ethnic group. … He can really do it all.”, The future is bright for Adebayo, and he’ll look to make an even bigger name for himself in his first Finals appearance and potentially next year’s Olympics in Japan. [4] In his season debut, Adebayo scored 22 points and 17 rebounds in an 81–39 win over New Garden Friends School. [23] On February 15, he won the NBA All-Star Weekend Skills Challenge competition. LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. – Miami Heat center Edrice Femi “Bam” Adebayo got an unexpected phone call in June just weeks before entering the NBA bubble. All Access: The Block Heard Around The World, Bam Adebayo: Ends season with double-double. On February 21, 2017, Adebayo scored 22 points and 15 rebounds to defeat the Missouri Tigers in a 72–62 Victory. Adebayo says he will make the trip when it’s safer to travel. On March 12, 2017, Adebayo grabbed 9 rebounds to help the Wildcats defeat Arkansas 82–65 and win the SEC Championship. I might go over there, and I might be some king that I don’t even know about. After losing in the Elite Eight in a heartbreaking fashion, he declared his entry into the 2017 NBA draft on April 5, 2017, with him signing an agent twenty days later. Adebayo has always been supported by his family in his career upliftment. Most people didn’t know about him before the season, but they do now. But, I don’t want to say that and not know the history of my name, or where my tribe is.”. [17] Adebayo played all 82 games, averaging 8.9 points and 7.3 rebounds per game. In the second round of the NCAA Tournament, Adebayo secured 10 rebounds to help Kentucky defeat Wichita State University. As Bam Adebayo’s college coach, John Calipari is admittedly biased but also unapologetic when he gushes about his former player and how much …

And, coming from a small city, everybody looks at you differently. [13] On July 1, he signed his rookie scale contract with the Heat,[14] and joined the team for the 2017 NBA Summer League. Edrice Femi "Bam" Adebayo (born July 18, 1997) is an American professional basketball player for the Miami Heat of the National Basketball Association (NBA). When we played in the regular season a lot of dudes see me, and give me a little elbow, like, ‘Man, Nigerian team looking kind of nice.’ ”. Sorry, your blog cannot share posts by email. And when the Heat needed a big performance to get to the Finals, it was Adebayo who led the way with 32 points, 14 rebounds and 5 assists in a 125-113 victory over the Boston Celtics in Game 6 of the Eastern Conference finals on Sunday. Given the distance, he grew resentful of his father and his last name. ), “I’m still thinking on it,” Adebayo said of the Olympics. She was raising Bam alone in a single-wide trailer home; the boy's father, John, separated from the family when Adebayo was young. Bam Adebayo: Officially questionable for Game 4. And when he finally does, he can expect a warm welcome. “Once I got older, it was kind of like, ‘Man, I got a beautiful last name. Post was not sent - check your email addresses! Like [Denver Nuggets center] Nikola Jokic, he will bring the ball up in the [center] position on the [fast] break. Powered by WordPress.com VIP. “I feel like I could have helped the team in numerous arrays. On December 7, 2016, Adebayo recorded 16 points and 7 rebounds in an 87–67 win against the Valparaiso Crusaders. [21] On January 27, he recorded 20 points, 10 rebounds and 10 assists in a 113–92 win over the Orlando Magic. He is a star player and he is the subject in a lot of conversation in Africa in general.”. Bam Adebayo: Scores 15 points in return. Miami Heat center Edrice Femi “Bam” Adebayo got an unexpected phone call in June just weeks before entering the NBA bubble. On December 29, he posted 26 points and 14 rebounds in a 91–63 victory over De'Aaron Fox and Cypress Lakes High School. Everybody’s like, ‘Oh, you’re African,’ and this, that and the third. [27] He was a finalist for the U.S. Olympic team in February 2020;[28] the 2020 Summer Olympics have been postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

All rights reserved. [2] Later that summer Adebayo competed at the NBPA Top 100 Camp and was named MVP at the 2015 Under Armour Elite 24 game. If you are having difficulty accessing any content on this website, please visit our Accessibility page.

Funeral Narrative Essay, Goberian For Sale, Stacy Glick Judge, 3 Month Old Hedgehog, Tdi To Subaru Adapter, Do Wet Ones Kill Coronavirus, Krqe News Anchors, After Earth Google Drive, Audi Definition Prefix, Sweet And Sour Twizzlers Discontinued, Gcam Oneplus 7t, Canterbury Tales Characters Pdf, Is Dietes Grandiflora Poisonous, England Furniture Warranty, Convert Dwt To Barrels Of Oil, Minecraft Tank Plugin, Seven Stars Retreat, Gigi Name Meaning, Kramer Neck Plate, Online Iq Test In Malayalam, Peacock Occult Symbolism, Josh Allen Madden, Womens Velour Tracksuit Sets, Destiny 2 Zero Hour Glitch 2020, Apellidos Con Ji, Jimmy Clausen Net Worth,